More than 12.5 million people in the US currently live with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and many more remain undiagnosed or at risk of developing this chronic condition. This November during COPD Awareness Month, and throughout the year, Viatris is proud to support people living with COPD and those who care for them as a cornerstone of our mission to empower people worldwide to live healthier at every of life.
Viatris provides access to an extensive and growing portfolio of vital medicines that help support patients in their ongoing management of COPD, regardless of geography or circumstance. And we don’t stop there. Our support extends to our engagement with the COPD community to make a difference in the lives of people living with this condition and those who care for them.
We are honored to be a partner and supporter of the tireless and important work of leading COPD advocacy organizations including COPD Foundation, American Lung Association, CHEST Foundation, and others.
Here are just a few examples of how we partner with the COPD advocacy community to educate and raise awareness of one of the most common chronic lung conditions in the US.
- Viatris is proud to be among this year’s sponsors of the COPD Foundation’s Lace up for Lungs campaign, which is instrumental in advancing the organization’s mission to help millions of people live longer and healthier lives by advancing research, advocacy, and awareness to stop COPD and related lung diseases.
- Viatris also supports the American Lung Association’s Health Industry Council (HIC), which enhances the Lung Association’s ability to serve everyone in America in lung health.
- For years, Viatris has supported IMPACT COPD, where patient advocates meet with lawmakers on Capitol Hill to share their stories and speak about the importance of increased research funding and access to pulmonary rehabilitation and medically appropriate oxygen.
- Our commitment to patient, caregiver and provider education also extends to partnering with leading advocates on several impactful programs, including:
- Working with the COPD Foundation to develop educational resources for patients, caregivers and providers including the COPD Foundation 101 Library, which was designed to provide clinicians the most up-to-date, evidence-based materials on various aspects of COPD and care delivery, as well as a patient-focused educational campaign on medication adherence.
- In partnership with CHEST Foundation, supported an education campaign to establish trust with patients titled "The First Five Minutes." This program enhances clinician and patient partnership to select appropriate COPD therapy and manage maintenance medications.
- Sponsoring the International Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD) COPD Conference Patient Education Session, conducted in partnership with the COPD Foundation, which aims to provide patients and caregivers with the latest information and empower them to be active participants in their care.
- Supporting the American Lung Association and COPD Foundation in the development of patient-facing instructional videos that demonstrate proper use of maintenance therapy devices as well as how to clean those devices.
We will continue to work shoulder-to-shoulder with our partners in the COPD community and strive to go above and beyond in tailoring our treatment portfolio to better meet the needs of patients and help them along their care journey.